Saturday 19 May 2012

Bake Sale & Rhubarb Sale

What a gorgeous day it was today.  A sunny and warm Saturday of a long weekend was a perfect day for our Team Cathy Conquers Cancer Relay For Life Bake Sale.  Our team members really came through with donations of baked goods!

My daughter, her friend, myself and my husband ran the bake sale and rhubarb sale.  It was heart-warming again to see the number of friends who came by to support our fundraiser.  I get overcome with emotion when I think of everyone who has supported us not just in this endeavour but throughout my treatment. The girls made $160 on the bake sale.  The rhubarb made $75.  I would say it was a success.  Every little bit helps and all the money raised for the Relay For Life stays in our local community.  It helps fund the support programs for those living with cancer and also is used for research done locally.

Although, I helped to package and price some of the baking this morning, I sat most of the day under an umbrella to keep me out of the sun.  I'm very tired tonight.  My doctor told me that I would still feel tired for a bit yet.  He expects me to feel much better in 3 to 4 weeks.  I hope that for the rest of our long weekend, I can just take it easy.

I don't intend to work on the hedge this weekend.  I might plant some of my plants tomorrow afternoon.  It depends on my energy levels.  My memory is terrible at the moment.  This is apparently another side effect of the chemotherapy.  I'm constantly misplacing things, forgetting messages to give to people and generally not thinking clearly.  This is not only frustrating for me but also for my children who are used to me knowing where everything is that gets misplaced.  Hopefully my mind will improve in the next 3 to 4 weeks.

This evening my husband and I enjoyed our supper on the patio while we watched the wildlife flitting around our yard.  We stayed outdoors until I started to get cold.  At that point, you could hear the birds starting to sing less as they settled into their nests for the night.  I find this very calming and peaceful.  What a nice way to end the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment