Friday, 13 July 2012

A Happy Day

This morning I decided to get out into the vegetable garden early before the forecasted heat built up.  All the plants are so dry that they drink up the water almost immediately.  I watered the plants with the hope that it will help them produce their fruit.  At the same time I did some much needed weeding.  I think I may plant some spinach next week or the following week because I just finished picking the spinach that I planted in May.  While I watered my tomato plants in containers on our patio, I peeked at the three baby robins that are in the nest in our grapevines.  I was concerned that they would find the heat too much for them.  As I looked at them today, they are starting to get feathers and their eyes are finally open.  While I peeked at them, one of them had its mouth wide open waiting for the mother robin to come and feed it.  As I watered the plants near them, the mother robin scolded me from our neighbour's eaves.  Once I was finished watering my plants, it was already very hot and humid.

I had a plan for the rest of my day.  I would enjoy my lunch with my husband and then I would do some housework at home in the air conditioning.  I did enjoy my lunch with my husband and on the way home, I thought "I can always do the housework but I don't always have the van.  I'm going to drop by my friend's house.  If she's home and available, I'll spend my afternoon visiting.  If she's not home, then I'll continue on my way home and do the housework."  So I dropped by my friend's house and she was home!  We had a lovely visit and then it was time for me to go home.  My son was planning to travel downtown by bus and I wanted to surprise him by getting home and driving him downtown.  I missed him.  He had already left.  So then I drove down to pick my husband up from work as he starts his one week vacation.

After supper, my husband and I walked to Dairy Queen for ice cream and then we walked back home.  It was just a little too long a walk for me as I ran out of energy part way home.  It was a struggle to walk the rest of the way home.  It took me over 30 minutes to regain a semblance of normalcy once I was home.

I'm pleased with what I did in my day.  I enjoyed my lunch with my husband, my visit with my friend and my walk to Dairy Queen and home.  I'm grateful that I have the strength to "do" but I'm still struggling to accept that my energy levels are not what they used to be.  Tonight my muscles are very tired and I'm dragging.  I keep hoping that I will get stronger and gain more endurance if only I keep working at it.  I'm looking forward to the weekend.  My son will be playing 4 games of ball over the weekend and I think we'll incorporate a visit with family at the same time.  I just hope that I will have the energy to take it all in.

The single most thing that I've noticed since I was diagnosed with lymphoma is that I live fully in the moment and enjoy each and every moment in my day.


  1. We should all LIVE by your example Cathy

  2. This comment has been removed by the author.