Monday 14 August 2017

Day 1 First Chemo Cycle

I had an early start to the day because I had to be registered at the Cancer Clinic at 8:30 a.m. I started my day with a bowl of oatmeal and my Allopurinol which needs to be taken with food. Then off we went to the Clinic to start my first day of chemo. I knew what to expect because I had the Rituximab 5 years ago when I had chemo.

Because I had a reaction to the Rituximab 5 years ago, they gave me Benadryl pills to take along with some tylenol before they started the IV. The first bag emptied in through my IV was hydrocortisol followed by a saline solution and then the Rituximab. Just like 5 years ago, the nurse started the Rituximab slowly at 20 ml per hour and then this was raised by 20 ml every 30 minutes with the hope to get to 200 ml per hour. We got to 60 ml per hour and I started to feel some itchiness on my left ear and on my scalp. I remember that this is what happened 5 years ago when we first had the Rituximab. I let the nurse know and because I didn't have any visible hives, we continued and bumped up the drip to 80 ml per hour. Then a few hives showed up near my hip. I rang for the nurse and she was immediately there. She stopped the drip and then put a bag of benadryl in to combat the allergic reaction. Once it was finished, I was feeling very sleepy but the itchiness was less. Then another bag of saline was entered into me. Once the hives were totally gone, we started again slowly with the Rituximab. The nurse adjusted the drip back to 40 ml per hour. This time, we were successful and managed to get the drip increased to 100 ml per hour which finished the bag.

I was at the Cancer Clinic about 6 1/2 hours today. I returned home by 4 p.m. The only side effects I seemed to have was tiredness and feeling cold. So I went and had a nap. When I awoke around 6, I had a bowl of turkey soup. I wasn't very hungry. Then a very good friend from around the corner contacted me and I asked her to come by for a visit. What a nice evening it was!!

So now I gear up for another 6 to 8 hour day tomorrow. This is where the unknowns are. I haven't had the Gemcitabine or the Cisplatin and so I don't know what to expect. I know that in the morning before going to the Cancer Clinic, I'll have to have some food to take the Allopurinol. Then I'll go to the Cancer Clinic and have the two medications put in by IV. The IV was kept in my arm today so that I didn't need to poked again tomorrow. They'll just attach the IV tubes to what's already in my arm. Then tomorrow night, I'll take one pill of Ondansetron for contolling the nausea that will happen in response to the 2 IV meds. From what I understand, I will lose my hair in subsequent rounds of chemo as it is a side effect of these meds.

I hate being nauseous and sick. Always!! So I hope that we can keep it in check. I'm sure that my taste buds will be affected. This will be the challenge. Then I will have other pills to take starting on Wednesday. The prescription for these was filled today at the pharmacy at the hospital.

I'll make sure tomorrow, I have my puzzle books and the novel that I'm currently reading with me to help pass the time. Of course, my hubby will be with me and we'll be able to commiserate together. I do know that my nurse today mentioned that she is working again tomorrow. She is very nice and was somewhat talkative although she was very busy. It'll be nice to see her again tomorrow.

I have to say that everyone's love, support and prayers has helped lift my spirits today. Thank you for that. In the end, that's what is important in life.....family, friends and love.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck today, Cathy! 🤞 I hope all goes well. You have an army of people rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete