Tuesday 29 August 2017

Day 16 First Chemo Round - A Tired Day

I awoke this morning at 6:00 in time to take my clindamycin, tylenol and nystatin. At that time of the morning, there's no sense in trying to go back to sleep. I had to take the car in for an oil change/tire rotation and the appointment was for 9:00 a.m. I decided that since I was going to be out with the car anyway, I would go to my optometrist to buy some frames. Mine had broke the day before my first chemo while hubby and I had been enjoying an afternoon on the bike and we'd stopped at The Cove Inn for lunch. So today was a day of errands.

When I arrived at the dealership to check in the car for its appointment, I was told that the next scheduled appointment wasn't for today but for June 13, 2019! Obviously, there had been a mistake somewhere in the booking process. Hubby had made the appointment and wasn't able to take the car himself today. So I didn't mind stepping in and taking the car. I could use the waiting time in the very comfortable waiting area to read my current book. The service department fit me in. I didn't get a lot of reading done because I was having more fun people watching. About 10:30, I was called to the desk and told my car was ready.  While I had been waiting, I really started to feel tired. Not just weary but bone tired.

I considered driving straight home, but I really do need new frames and who knows when I will feel well enough to go to the optometrist to look at frames, try them on and get them fitted. So I sucked up the tired feelings and went on to the optometrist's store.  I quickly found 2 frames that I liked. One will be used for my everyday use and the other pair of frames will be my prescription sunglasses. I've never had sunglasses before! So this is exciting. The optometrist reminded me that I really need to have my eyes tested. I haven't had an appointment with her since 2014. However, I do see an opthamologist annually since 2011. I was going to make an appointment for at the optometrist, but with all the diagnostic procedures and other doctor appointments throughout the summer, I never got the appointment made. This morning, I explained to my optometrist that I am currently in chemo and it will affect my eye sight. I know that I will need to wait until after I'm finished the whole chemotherapy and stem cell transplant process and also let my eyes settle after all that before I go for a test. I expect I won't be going for an optometrist appointment for at least 1 year. She agreed that I should wait for the check up appointment. So I ordered my frames and they should be in with my prescription lenses in about a week. As I was driving home, I realized that one week from now, I probably won't be feeling up to going out to pick up, try on the glasses and have them adjusted. Oh well, they'll wait there for me at the store. When they call to tell me the glasses are in, I'll just explain my situation and hopefully I'll be able to go get the new glasses in 2 weeks time.

My original plan today was to drop by the grocery store and pick up a few items that I need. However, I was so tired after the car and glasses appointments that I went home, had some lunch, swallowed my pills and did the swish and swallow of the nystatin and then finally laid my weary bones down to rest.  I fell asleep immediately and slept soundly for an hour. However, I didn't feel refreshed. I continue to feel very tired today. Hubby and I did the shopping on the way home from work when I went to pick him up.

I was planning to go for a walk with a very good friend tonight, but I texted her and begged off from the walk. I'm just too tired. I became very grumpy and whiny. I'm tired of having to stick to a schedule and live according to the clock. Dinner tonight wasn't able to be enjoyed and savoured because I had to make sure I got the food into me so that I could take the pills and Nystatin. Then I'm left with the horrible taste of the Nystatin for 60 minutes before I can eat the yogurt that the clindamycin needs to help the stomach. I had several minutes where I was just fed up. This is no quality of life. Pills, pills, pills. Yucky tasting liquid medication. Carefully watching what I eat so the thrush doesn't want to grow more. Careful not to upset a stomach. Make sure I'm getting enough liquid into me. Waaaaaaaa!!!!! I was grumpy!!!!

So it will be an early night for me tonight. I have to be at the Cancer Clinic for 8:15 tomorrow morning for some blood work and a doctor's appointment all in preparation for the second chemo round on Tuesday. So I'm signing off tonight and hoping some extra rest will help me regain my equilibrium emotionally. I know that there are other people out there who have it worse than me. And normally, I can manage not to dwell in the dark place of my emotions. That doesn't help or change anything and only allows the cancer to steal a good day. Here's hoping I will awake tomorrow refreshed and feeling better emotionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment