Wednesday 16 August 2017

Day 3 First Chemo Cycle

Last night I tried to be proactive in fighting the side effect of constipation with is associated with a number of the medicines that have been pumped into me. I took a dose of Senokot last night as per the directions on the package. At 4 a.m. my insides started to gripe a little, so I was up and ready until about 6:15. After feeding my cat, Frodo, and changing his water, I went back to bed. I slept right through until 8:15 when my hubby woke me up to take my next chemo meds. With my breakfast, I had to take 1 Allopurinol pill and 10 Dexamethasone pills. The Dexamethasone side effect on me is my mind races (more than usual) and my speech speeds up. I had to apologize to anyone I spoke to today as even I noticed I had a "running mouth". Anyone who knows me when I've had multiple cups of coffee, has witnessed something similar. The side effect of the medication is worse. At least I was able to laugh about it and recognize what was happening. Thankfully, the people I was talking to on the phone, regarding various upcoming appointments at the Cancer Clinic, were very understanding and able to chuckle along with me.

I sent my hubby back to work today. I am at home for the next number of days and today, I felt like I could take care of myself.  My appetite is slightly off due to the nausea. I find that eating smaller, lighter meals has helped. I still have to drink 8 cups of clear liquid or more every day to flush out the kidneys and help flush the chemo meds out of my system.  I made my oatmeal this morning and found I could only eat half of it.  I had no interest in snacks of any kind. For lunch, I had some of my turkey broth with a piece of toast and more water. I had water throughout the day and also some juice boxes. I was starting to get tired of water.

I passed my day doing some knitting, to keep my legs warm. I was feeling cold for most of the day. I had a very nice visit on the phone with my minister. I read outside in the shade of my front porch for a little bit until the sun came around. Then I moved to the patio in the back where there was finally a strip of shade that would fit my chair. I got tired of reading and would get a headache and be tired. But due to the revved up mind on the Dexamethasone, I would go on the computer and surf the internet looking up information on stem cell transplants. When I came across information that was a little disturbing, I then went onto Facebook and surfed for a bit. While on Facebook, I reconnected with a friend that I had lost contact with. It was nice. Later about 3 p.m., my stomach started to feel queasy again, so I had some toast and jam. That settled it down. I worked on some word puzzles and did more knitting. Then it was time for supper and again, I only wanted turkey broth. It tastes good to me right now.

After supper, hubby and I went for a short walk around the block. We were considering going further but I was afraid of getting tired before getting home again. So we cut the walk short and watched the Blue Jays game on TV.  Just as we were leaving the house to go for our walk, there was a FedEx box leaned against the side of the door. It was from my sister!! I brought it inside to open up after our walk.

So when I got home, I opened up my "care package". My sister was so thoughtful!! She sent me lip balm for when my lips will dry up due to the chemo. She sent me intensive dry skin repair hand cream, knowing that my hands will be dry from all the hand washing and hand sanitizing that has to take place at the moment. She even thought of sending a moisturizing mouth spray, knowing that I will have dry mouth! She sent candies to share with my hubby and she also sent some books that she had just finished reading! I'll keep them to return to her for my nieces to read. This was a real lift today!! I have always adored my little sister and we live so far apart that we don't get to see each other very often. I called her tonight and we had a really nice conversation. It looks like we might even get to see each other at some point during my treatments!

Overall today went well. I haven't had to take the supplemental anti-nausea meds called Prochlorperazine. The Dexamethasone is supposed to help combat the nausea. So we'll see how tomorrow goes. I may take the Prochlorperazine as a precaution before bedtime tonight. At this point, each day is a new experience in the chemo cycle. I feel I handled Day 3 well.

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely and thoughtful surprise from your sister! You have so many wonderful people in your circle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martha, you are one of those constant wonderful people in my circle. Thank you for always checking in. xo

    ReplyDelete