Monday 30 October 2017

Stem Cell Transplant Day - Called Day 0

With all the heavy rain and some anxiety about today, I didn't sleep very well last night. This morning I was given 2 hours of IV saline solution before heading down to the Stem Cell Unit for my transplant.

Hubby and I walked to the elevators and went down to the Stem Cell Unit. The transplant was pretty uneventful and a bit of a anti-climax. I was given Benadryl through IV and in no time, I was falling asleep. The nurses did their best to keep me alert and awake. I was back in the elevators heading up to my room with Hubby by 2:30 and then I slept for a couple of hours.

The stem cells were preserved using some kind of corn mixture and so now I am emitting the smell of creamed corn from my pores. This will apparently continue for about 2 days. I don't notice it but the nurses and hubby did.

This morning while on the IV saline solution, I did deliver a few pairs of socks for the upcoming Hospital Auxiliary Bazaar at the end of November. And I have started another pair of small size socks (the first sock) which will also go to the bazaar.

I'm on a high protein, high calorie diet to get me through the phase where I will lose weight. I'm struggling to eat everything that is added to my order by my nutritionist. Tonight, she added Ensure as well as a night time snack of cheese and crackers. I managed to eat my supper but the Ensure was my night time snack. I will probably have the cheese and crackers in the morning as breakfast is always served a little later here.

Thank you to all my friends and family that have been sending words and cards of encouragement as well as comments after these posts. It helps to know there is all this support. I have a great health care team working with me and friends that have been and will be coming to visit. Thank you is not adequate to express myself but there it is.

4 comments:

  1. You are a kind and gentle soul, Cathy, so I'm not surprised you have a lot of people cheering for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to hear that you have lots of friends and family giving you lots of support during this difficult time. Keep in mind that you are almost through this. Now you can relax and get lots of rest. Your body now needs to mend. I'm
    thinking about you every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How many pairs of socks have you made?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So you have started your stem cell treatment. A milestone, Cathy. With all your other friends I'm wishing you all the very best.

    ReplyDelete