Wednesday 30 May 2018

Still Waiting, Watching, Living

I have been waiting for an appointment for my chest CT scan. The hospital called the other day and I'm scheduled to have it on June 4 (Monday). Then I will continue to wait for my oncologist appointment to get the results and also at the same appointment have blood work done and a check up in preparation for my upcoming Rituxan maintenance chemo.

Since my last post, I enjoyed a celebratory evening out with my fellow "Grace Notes". These are a couple of friends that I make music with. We performed together back in April and had decided that we would have an evening out together to celebrate our performance. We went out for dinner and then to The Thousand Islands Playhouse see Shakespeare's "The Tempest" which was performed by a local theatre group called The Kings Town Players. A mutual friend of "The Grace Notes" played the lead role. We thoroughly enjoyed our evening.

I have continued to take advantage of the warm, sunny weather to play in my gardens. I have planted my beans, beets and tomato plants in the vegetable garden. I have also planted some kale in containers on my patio. I weeded another section of my flower garden by the patio and transplanted 2 cucumber plants and another tomato plant in that area. I have a garden area that I have kept as a herb garden and also I have asparagus growing in that section. Unfortunately, my sage did not weather the winter well this year. So the other day, I went at it and cut it back. I have hope that it will grow again as there were some green live spots in it.

My asparagus and my rhubarb have been growing well. I am the only one in the house to like asparagus but I do try to cook it differently in an effort to tempt my hubby's (and son's) taste buds. They seemed to like last night's creation which was very simply asparagus laid across the grill on the BBQ. Then I served it with butter, salt and pepper. My rhubarb is very prolific this year and I have made more concentrate to add to my water as well as rhubarb loaf, rhubarb cake and rhubarb crisp. Hubby's preferences so far is my rhubarb custard pie, the rhubarb moon cake, rhubarb crisp and then the rhubarb loaf.

I am looking forward to my son's graduation from university next week and also a visit with my father-in-law. In the midst of all this, there will be the CT scan, a regularly scheduled mammogram and my continued vaccinations.

Hubby and I continue to get out on the motorcycle as much as we can. I am not losing weight and I am feeling good. I love listening to the birds while I sit on my patio in the early mornings and after supper. It is so peaceful and also entertaining to watch the mother birds teach and feed the fledglings that have just left the nest. We have a pair of cardinals that regularly visit our bird feeder. This year we also have a couple of house finches that have been regular visitors so far.

Do I worry about my health? Yes. It is always there in the back of my mind but it is no longer in the forefront. I am now at a point where I am enjoying my yard, my family and my friends. I'm off now to go for a walk with my best friend. Then I will help her divide some hostas and move them around. I also intend to visit another friend's booth at the local farmer's market. If there is time in the late afternoon or this evening, I will cut the grass. If not, I will do it tomorrow. My energy is good. If I do too much, then it takes me a couple of days to recover. So I just try to pace myself.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you are enjoying this lovely weather, Cathy. Let's hope it continues to be nice. There is nothing quite like spending time in the garden with our hands in the soil. It is soul soothing!

    ReplyDelete