Thursday 21 June 2018

Lymphoma, Making a Difference and Living Fully

What a full week this has been! I had a really nice visit with my father-in-law and we had to say good bye as he returned home. Monday started out with my second in a series of vaccinations. Tuesday was going to be my "day off" in a busy week. On Monday afternoon, I received an email regarding my role as Community Champion for the Kingston Relay for Life 2018. I was scheduled for an interview with our local paper in preparation for our Relay for Life event which is tomorrow. Here's the link to the article which ended up being on the front page.

http://www.thewhig.com/2018/06/19/cancer-survivor-prepares-for-next-battle

Sometimes I wonder about sharing my story. It really is no different than other cancer survivors and patients. I don't really consider myself anyone special except that I'm willing to be open about my experiences in an effort to help other people cope. This blog originally started out as a therapeutic tool and a way to let family and friends from afar know how I'm doing as I navigate through the health care system and this disease called lymphoma. Along the way, I have learned that it has helped strangers in their own journeys. I don't really feel like I'm a victim although sometimes in dark moments that label is worn. I really look at this whole experience as a trip....a journey. I have climbed aboard this train called lymphoma and I am travelling through to a destination which I hope will be a cure. Hope....that really is the reason for doing the Relay for Life. Hope for a cure. Hope that I live long enough for research to find a cure to Follicular Lymphoma. It's a journey. Sometimes it is an uphill journey. Right now, I seem to be travelling along a flat stretch of land that allows me to enjoy the scenery. I keep waiting for a steep hill down but so far the horizon is still just flat land. So let's enjoy the trip.

I'm enjoying having my son home and while Hubby was away this week, Son and I enjoyed seeing the movie "The Incredibles 2" on Tuesday night. What a great evening! I laughed and laughed as we enjoyed the movie together.

Yesterday I had an oncologist appointment. This appointment had two components to it. It was a check up in preparation for my Rituxan treatment which I will have this afternoon. The doctor's appointment was also to receive the results from some previous tests. My blood work was good so the treatment goes ahead as scheduled today. This is what was expected. The test results were for my Pulmonary Fitness Test (lung function test) and it came back with good news. My lungs continue to function well and there was no change from the one I had back in October. I do have a "mild abnormality" which is not a concern but just shows that my lungs are not as elastic as they should be. So the result from that test was good. The really good news is that my chest/throat CT scan was clear!! So as far as we know, they only "spots" are the two that have been found previously in my abdomen. In the last week, I have started to have some constant pain. However, it has not been acute enough for me to want to take extra-strength Tylenol. I think I have taken one pill 2 different nights to get me back to sleep when the pain interfered with my night's sleep. As a result of this development, my oncologist is sending me for another abdominal CT scan within the next couple of weeks. I will probably have another appointment to see him in 2 weeks. I expect to get the date for this appointment today when I go to the Chemo Lab in the Cancer Centre this afternoon.

After my morning appointment yesterday, I spent a wonderful afternoon with my best friend. We talked, we laughed and we visited our local farmer's market where we met up with another one of my friends who has a booth there. While at the market, 3 different strangers recognized me from the article in the paper. My best friend said "You're a celebrity!" The thing about "celebrity" is it is fleeting. I'm glad the article was written. I'm hoping it will help people to donate to the Relay for Life that will occur tomorrow. It's not too late to donate. You can donate to me on my Relay for Life page or to my team "The Cancer Honour Guard". Here's the link:

http://convio.cancer.ca/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFL_ON_even_?team_id=369594&pg=team&fr_id=23710

This morning I'm going to enjoy some singing with my friends as part of "The Grace Notes". Then I will make my way to the Cancer Centre for my treatment. Tomorrow night I will be part of the Relay for Life event and I will be making a survivor speech as part of the opening ceremonies. I'm already tired from the last few weeks of memory making. I can always rest later. Living fully is really important to me. Fame and recognition aren't what really counts. Spending time with my family and friends is important. Making lasting memories with them is truly the treasures of life in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment