Wednesday 4 July 2018

And the Results of This Last CT Scan Is.....

Today was a day full of appointments. It started off with a regular appointment to have my feet looked at and make sure that they are healthy because of the neuropathy that I now have in both feet. The appointment went well and my feet were looking great. Then I was off to the local hospital to have my first hair appointment since it has been growing in. My hair was growing in unevenly and so this appointment just trimmed it all up to give my hair a tidy look. Immediately after that appointment, I made my way to the Cancer Centre to have my blood taken and tested in advance of my appointment with my oncologist. I took the opportunity to visit with former co-workers on my way to the Cancer Centre.

I saw my oncologist to get the results from the abdominal CT scan that was taken on June 22. A friend of mine volunteers in the Cancer Centre and my time waiting for my appointment went by very quickly as we chatted and visited. This was good as I had mixed emotions going into this appointment. I was afraid that the scan results would show that the 2 spots in my abdomen had grown again. I was afraid that my summer was going to be spent with more doctor appointments in order to get more scans and results. And then, I was expecting that my summer would be spent having a biopsy done and awaiting results from it at the same time as I would be recovering from having the biopsy procedure done. To be honest, I am tired of all the appointments. I'm tired of putting my life on hold. I would like to have a normal summer and be able to go away on holidays for at least a couple of weeks. When my name was called to go in for my appointment, I went and had my regular weigh-in as the nurse checked my weight. There was no change in weight from 2 weeks ago. This was good news. The nurse led me and Hubby to the appointment room. I tried to read my book while we waited. I couldn't concentrate. I was nervous. I was anxious. I was afraid of the worse case scenario.

Finally, my doctor entered the room. He normally carries my big, thick file with him. All he had was a piece of paper. Oh no.....this is not good. That was my thought. As always, my doctor finished rubbing the hand sanitizer into his hands and then he shook my hand. He asked how I was doing.  Then he said he was shocked by my CT scan result. The radiologist was shocked by my CT scan result. The CT scan from June 22 showed that my 2 spots had shrunk in size from the previous abdominal CT scan taken on April 25. The spots are still there but they are smaller. My doctor asked if I had changed my eating habits. My answer was no. He then asked me if I was taking anything to combat any pain. My answer was extra strength Tylenol. He asked if I was taking anything else. My answer was no. There is no logical explanation for these spots to have shrunk. My doctor is baffled. I don't care! I will take these results!! I do not need to see my doctor again until September in preparation for my next Rituxan maintenance chemo session. I asked my doctor, "Would the Rituxan have caused these to shrink?" His answer was no. I had no Rituxan between April 25 and June 21. The Rituxan I had on June 21 would not have had time to cause the spots to shrink in less than 24 hours (the CT scan was done on June 22). There doesn't seem to be any reason for me to be having my abodominal aches. I now put these pains down to stress. It has been a full year of worry.

So there is no logical reason for today's results. Perhaps the reason the spots have shrunk is due to all the prayers that have been said consistently for me. I have been praying regularly. Many friends and family have been praying for me. Many friends and family have had various prayer chains praying for me. Perhaps....maybe?.....God has decided to show His existence and answer some prayers. So I offer my very sincere thanks from the whole of my being to all of you for your prayers and positive thoughts.

Regardless, I am now able to have a "normal" summer! Hubby and I can now plan to have a 2 or 3 week vacation on the motorcycle. I haven't even looked this far ahead in the last several months. I can now stop worrying and start planning. I will take this reprieve and enjoy it fully. I know the spots are still there. We will see what they look like sometime in the future when my doctor decides to take a scan. But for now? I'm grabbing life with both hands and both feet. I'm going to enjoy!!!! So stay tuned and I will try to take you all on the ride with me.

Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!!

6 comments:

  1. Excellent news Cathy!! Prayers have been answered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janet! Sorry for the late reply. I've been enjoying life fully. Please continue your prayers. I really appreciate them.

      Delete
  2. Such wonderful news, Cathy! I can't tell you how happy I am to hear this. All the support you receive is certainly a blessing and has contributed to this. But I think that your own positive attitude has helped a whole lot. Whatever it is, it is good. And I wish you a wonderful summer ahead. Enjoy every minute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha! Your emotional support over the years has been very much appreciated. I do wonder about the body's ability to repair itself with positive and visual imagery/focus. I do sincerely and deeply believe that prayers work as well. But you are right about just taking the good news and enjoying every minute of my summer. That's the plan for sure.

      Delete
  3. Oh Cathy, I am so happy for you! I know many have been praying for you (myself included) and I really do praise God for the results. Wishing you continued good results and a lovely time on your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, April, for your prayers! I do believe they make a difference. I intend (and have already been) to fully enjoy my summer with joyful moments. Stay tuned. :)

      Delete