Thursday, 7 March 2013

My First Hair Cut!!

My hair has been getting a little long on top and wasn't curling like it has been since it grew in.  I was getting frustrated with it also starting to hang into my eyes.  So a couple of weeks ago, I booked an appointment for my first post-chemo hair cut.  I was just as excited about the upcoming trim as I was when it was my children's first hair cuts!

So a couple of days ago, I had my first trim since Tuesday, December 13, 2011.  The hair stylist was amazed that my hair had grown in a uniform manner.  She said it looked like I had already had it cut in layers.  She didn't want to trim too much off because my hair is still somewhat short looking.  This is partly due to the hair continuing to be curly.  As it grows longer, the curls just fill out more.  My hair doesn't appear to be getting longer but just gets bushier.  Except on top.  The hair seemed to be going straighter as it got longer up top.  I had expected that my hair would return to being curly on top once the weight of it had been trimmed off.  So far that's not happening.  It seems to be staying straighter than it was.  Oh I have always said since losing my hair last's hair!!

When hair grows in after having been lost due to the chemotherapy, the pigment is not fully revitalized yet.  As a result, often the hair grows in grey or white.  Mine grew in more of a strawberry blond colour and I'm assuming that was due to my hair being red.  Before the chemotherapy, I did have some grey hairs starting to appear due to my age.  As the hair grew in, I had no grey hairs.  As the pigment has revitalized in the past year, I do have a few grey hairs showing up again.  After my hair cut on Tuesday, I looked at the floor and saw all the light strawberry blond ends on the floor.  My hair is still red but I think it is a little darker to what the original colour used to be.

On a different note, the last couple of days have been nice and warm....well warm for our climate.  The snow is melting and rivulets of snowmelt is running down the streets.  As I've been on my way to work and about doing errands, I can smell Spring in the air!  I have seen some robins and I continue to hear their songs throughout the day.  Yesterday I was waiting for my son in a parking lot and I had the car windows down so I could hear the various birds singing.  I heard chickadees, cardinals and then I heard the loud squawky (is that even a word?) call of a blue jay.  I looked around and saw two blue jays frolicking in the fir trees that edged the parking lot!  It is so nice to sit in the warmth of the sun and know that even though we still have snow on the ground and we may even get another snowstorm along the way, the sun will not keep the snow on the ground very long.  There's nothing like the healing warmth of the sun just soaking through your body to make you appreciate the beautiful day.  It reminds me of last year about this time, when my husband helped me get to the patio and sit in the sun.  I remember being dressed in my trackpants with long underwear underneath, a couple layers of fleece with a hoodie on my top, my extra-warm housecoat, 2 pairs of socks, shoes, and a toque on my head as well.  All to keep me warm!  I also remember my husband having to go in and get 3 warm afghans to wrap around me as well.  Meanwhile, everyone else was in jeans and t-shirts!  I don't know if I will ever forget how cold the chemotherapy made me feel. was pure bliss to sit in the sun and feel some warmth!

Amazing what a difference a year makes.  Today is another bright day and I don't have to work today.  So I think, I'll run some errands and get a walk in at one of the local nature trails.  Spring is coming and with it the whole rejuvenation of the gardens and that extra spring to our steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment