Wednesday 25 September 2013

Life's Perspective...It's All How You Look At It

As always, I've been too busy living to blog regularly.  I grab a few moments here and there to write in the blog.  Perspective....it's all how we approach things.  I could complain that life is too busy and I'm constantly running here and there.  But by complaining, I would actually be detaching myself from enjoying each and every small moment.  I sent my son off to university and then I've started my teaching year.  I have a few less students at the moment, but I'm alright with that.  I could complain but instead I'm looking at the extra time that I can work in my garden or learn some new skills.  I have plans for that extra time.  I'm not going to fill it just for the sake of being busy, but I'm hoping to learn how to sew a quilt.  I'm also using some of that extra time to take a creative writing course online.  I would also like to return to learning how to paint on canvas.  Over 20 years ago, I took some oil painting classes and I enjoyed it.  I liked the paintings that I created.  As I've raised my children, I haven't had the time to paint and perhaps now may be the time.  I look at how my time gets filled and revel in the experiences.

Perspective....it would be so easy to miss a breathless moment as we turn away or grumble about our existence.  I even enjoy the mundane task of hanging laundry on my line outside.  Especially at this time of year when the days are shorter and getting cooler, it takes a full day for the laundry to dry on the line.  So as I stand on the patio hanging my wet laundry, I listen to the birds and I enjoy the crisp, cool dampness of the morning.  I find it a very peaceful way to start my day.  There are so many little moments in our days that we miss if we grumble.  As I stand on the patio hanging laundry, I could be fretting about how much I have to do that day.  I could be so preoccupied with the worries and "lack of time" that I miss the wonderful birds singing and the peaceful calmness of the early morning.  I think the one thing that has stuck with me the most since returning to good health, has been the ability to live in the moment fully and enjoy whatever goodness is in that moment.  Sometimes it is hard to find that kernel of goodness but it is always there.

Perspective.  This past weekend, we were busy travelling and doing things with my daughter.  She had an opportunity to be a film "extra" in a movie being made 2 hours from our home.  We jumped in the car and made the trip.  We spent 11 hours in a room waiting for her to be finished her time on set.  I could have used this time to clean and do any other myriad of chores and duties at home.  Instead, I decided to enjoy an outing with my husband and daughter.  I was able to do some word puzzles that I normally don't have time for and that I enjoy completing.  I was able to work on my current homework from my creative writing course.  I was able to read a book that I've not had time to pick up.  I was able to observe some of what happens behind the scenes in film making.  It was an interesting day but it all depended on which perspective I chose to see it.  After a long day, the next morning we had to be up and out to take my daughter to a photo shoot.  Again, I enjoyed each moment to the fullest.  On our way to the photo shoot, I saw a sign that tickled my odd sense of humour and shared a laugh with my husband much to my daughter's disdain.  Oh well...that moment of humour has come back to be a private chuckle between my husband and I throughout the last few days amidst our busyness.

I'm not always able to see my days through "rose-coloured glasses", but I do know that I much prefer the days that I wear them.  Perspective is a mental exercise that is beneficial to making life full and abundant.  I'm constantly reminded of my mantra while I was sick..."One breath at a time, one moment at a time, one step at a time".  On difficult days and in difficult times, this helps ease the pain and suffering.  It can also help flip my perspective to a much happier and fulfilling view.

So let's take on the day and see how our perspective can be flipped to help us enjoy it more.

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely post, Cathy. You are so right: it's all about perspective. And it certainly is a mental exercise. But well worth the effort. Because the less time we spend grumbling, the more time we spend enjoying every moment of every day in this beautiful world. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with this great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cathy! I just stopped by and was reading a few of your posts. I had a quick question about your blog and was hoping you could email me back when you get the chance -emilywalsh688 (at) gmail.com- Thanks : )

    Emmy

    ReplyDelete