Saturday 4 November 2017

Day 5 - On the Side Effect Ride

I wasn't able to post the last couple of days due to some internet issues with my laptop here at the hospital. This afternoon, Hubby arrived and got it all working again for me. So I'm up and able to post again.

Basically not much has changed. My blood levels continue to go down due to the High Dose Chemo I had a week ago. The side effects of this chemo also is the killing off all the fast growing cells. This means the whole GI tract is shedding its lining. This mean the mouth is tender with canker sores although so far I've been able to keep ahead of them and so I have no open sores. The other fast growing cells are my hair. It is falling out although I'm still able to go around with a head covering.

For me, I am getting tired of the GI tract sloughing its old cells. This causes nausea, indigestion and many trips to the washroom. The nurses are great at keeping me on medications that combat the nausea and indigestion. I have about another week of this before I will start to feel better.

As I mentioned earlier, my blood levels are dropping. Today, my nurse told me that I may get a blood transfusion on Monday to help boost the levels back up. Today, I received my first shot of Neupogen to stimulate my new stem cells to grow and multiply.

I feel cold and shivery but I don't have a fever. I tire really easily and I am hesitant to walk the ward by myself. I don't want to fall. I also am needing to make sure I'm close to my washroom. I, jokingly, told Hubby today that I'm getting my walking/running exercise with the many dashes to the washroom.

There is definitely a rhythmic routine to this Oncology Ward. My body has adjusted and I am now waking up in the middle of the night just before my nurse will come in to check my vital signs. This includes checking my temperature, blood pressure and pulse rate. They are looking for the first tell-tale signs of infection through a raised temperature. I have blood taken from me every morning about 4:30 so it can be sent to the lab to be tested. Right now, my white blood cells are non-existent so I have to wear a mask if I leave my room. I've been advised to avoid children and anyone who has a cold.

Around 10:00 a.m., the nurse will come in and fill out my chart so I can see how the levels compare to the day before. I continue to fill my hours with knitting and colouring an adult colouring book.

No comments:

Post a Comment