Thursday, 7 June 2012

A Great Day

I thought for sure I would be sore and stiff this morning after cutting the grass yesterday.  My calves were a little tight but other than that I felt good.  It was a gorgeous day.  It was bright and sunny but not too hot.  A perfect day for losing myself in the yard.

I decided to use our electric grass trimmer.  This is normally my husband's job but I've got the time now and I could learn to do this for him.  I tried it out about a week and a half ago when I last cut the grass.  It was very hard for me to hold it then.  My arms were too weak.  Today I was able to trim one third of the backyard.  I only had to stop because the whipper snipper line got jammed.  Being that I didn't know how to fix it and I didn't want to wreck the tool, I put the tool away and pulled out my hedge trimming shears and my lopping shears.  I continued my project of trimming the hedge as my arms weren't tired or achy.

I worked slowly on the hedge until I felt myself getting tired.  I managed to trim about ten feet of the hedge.  There is still a fair amount left to do.  As I looked at the hedge today, it also looks like I'll have to start at the top again and give it another trim.  Hopefully, it will not take as much time and it will be a quick trim.  Anyway, when I stopped trimming the hedge, I went indoors to see what time it was.  I had been working hard for about an hour and a half straight.  This is great news for me as my stamina hasn't been so good.  What an improvement!  It was very enjoyable to hear the birds singing away while I worked.  Unfortunately, they don't come into the yard while I'm working but I can hear them in the trees in my neighbours' yards.

It was also close to lunch time.  I had my lunch and drank lots of water.  Obviously working outdoors had made me thirsty.  After lunch, my body crashed.  I guess I was more tired than I had thought.  My plan for today had been to go watch my son play in the high school all-star game after school.  My body was so tired that I really needed a nap.  So I've adjusted to the "new normal" and am listening to my body.  I informed my husband and my son that I would not be attending the ball game.  I ended up sleeping for 2 hours this afternoon.  It didn't really help as I've been tired all evening too.

Hopefully my body will be rejuvenated with a good night's sleep so that tomorrow I can continue to enjoy my time outdoors.  My husband did fix the grass trimmer so I will hopefully attempt to finish that task tomorrow.  A year ago, who would have thought that I would enjoy mundane chores so much.  I find myself enjoying the small things and the ordinary things in life.  Every moment seems a little more clear and bright.  I also find myself wanting to live my life with a vengeance and not to put anything off until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment