Wednesday 20 June 2012

My First Check Up

I was becoming anxious yesterday as I felt some new pain, some returning pressure in my neck, and a scratchy, sore throat.  The anxiety continued this morning because I slept in and felt very drained and tired before the day even started.  I was trying not to worry but it was there in the back of my mind.  Was my throat sore because of playing the flute for the first time or was the lymphoma returning?  The pressure at the base of my neck felt very similar to what I felt at the end of November.  Was this a result of my playing the flute or had the lymphoma returned?  Was I feeling really tired and dragged out because of the heat and humidity or am I fatigued due to the lymphoma?

I turned to reading my current novel in an attempt to distract myself from my thoughts and fears.  The reading helped but I couldn't concentrate for very long.  So I vacuumed part of the house until my shoulder started to ache again.  Back to my novel I went.  Then it was time to go to the Cancer Clinic for my appointment.  I put my ball cap on so that my scalp wouldn't get sunburned as my husband and I walked to the appointment.

Thank goodness there was hardly any waiting for the appointment today.  This didn't allow me to dwell on my worries and get worked up even more.  My doctor came in and I shared with him my fears.  I also was honest and told him what activities that I've been doing.  He checked out my neck very thoroughly.  His diagnosis was everything is fine and normal.  The pressure and pain I have been feeling is caused by a major artery that has been irritated by the pressure of blowing air into the flute combined with using my support.  He continued with his examination and determined everything is fine.  I'm still in remission!!  What a relief!!!  I'll see him again in September and at that time he's also wanting me to have a CT Scan to confirm that everything is still clear.

I can now embrace my summer and know that all my plans can go ahead and be carried out.  I'm looking forward to going camping, travelling and visiting with friends and family.  I just have to make sure that I don't do too much and I allow myself some rest time.  I think that I probably was feeling fatigued today because I've had a busy time.  The heat and humidity don't help as they always make me feel very tired anyway.  I'm interested to see how much energy I regain over the summer as I continue to heal and get stronger.  It seems to have been a very long time since I felt "normal".  Let the summer begin! 

No comments:

Post a Comment