Monday 29 October 2018

One Year After Stem Cell Transplant

Where do I begin?! I have so many blessings!! I have energy for DOING! Where do I begin? So I describe my week chronologically and try to remember the thoughts and emotions that were interspersed  with the activity.

Early last week, I decided to plan my annual Halloween dinner and also have it coincide with my first "birthday". I wanted to hold this dinner tomorrow, October 30. Unfortunately, it is during the work week and was going to be difficult to truly celebrate with friends. So after much discussion, Hubby and I decided to hold our annual Halloween dinner this past Saturday (October 27). I didn't get to have the dinner last year as I was in hospital. A year ago, I was feeling ill and awaiting my stem cell transplant. A year ago, I was filled with FEAR and ANXIETY of the unknown. Would I die? Would this process kill me? I am still here and now able to live life fully. I do know there is no cure but I'm feeling healthy now and that is what is important. So...back to earlier last week. I finally had a date for my dinner. Now to make the menu.

I always serve something made from meatloaf. In the past, I've made murdered meatloaf men or an amputated meatloaf foot. I was bored with those ideas. I wanted to make something different. So I came up with making individual bowls of chicken pot pie with a pastry hand with black olives for fingernails rising out of the bowl. Now this piqued my interest and excitement!


Now I needed to think about a potato side dish that would be spooky. I've sculpted a skull using mashed potatoes before but I didn't really want to try that again. So....what about mashed potato ghosts?! I've done that before but used caraway seeds for the eyes and I didn't like that. So what about making the mashed potato ghosts using green peas for eyes. Yes!!! Insert happy dance here as I was having fun thinking and creating.






So...now I have to think about appetizers. In the past, I have always made a jack-o-lantern cheese ball. Boring and predictable. What can I make that would be different? I know....I used the same cheese ball recipe but made individual cheese balls with dark tortilla chips and black olives to make "bat bites". Yes! They'll taste good and hopefully look like bats. Although after I made them and was putting them on the plate, I thought they looked a little like the storm trooper fighter ships in Star Wars. Oh well, too bad. They do look like bats.





Now while planning this meal, I really thought I should include some healthy options. So what's easier than a vegetable tray with some dip. Normally my vegetable dip is made with mayonnaise, shredded onion, honey and a few drops of hot sauce. This time, I substituted mashed avocado with a small amount of mayonnaise instead of all mayonnaise. I worked well and was very tasty. I had a plastic rat with red eyes that I had out as a decoration on Saturday. My friend moved the rat to sit by the avocado dip and voila.....you have rat barf. This was hilariously fun!! Of course, as I was plating the vegetables, I used beet juice from my pickled beets to draw lines in the crevices of the cauliflower to make them look like brains. This was so much fun to plan and execute!









The last item on my menu was a cocktail punch. I didn't have any idea what to make. I looked online for recipes for cocktails and nothing caught my attention. Then I came across a pamphlet that I had of various kinds of cocktails. I knew I wanted vodka to be in the punch. Didn't I find a recipe for a vodka cocktail that used pineapple juice and another kind of liqueur that I didn't have. I really didn't want to make the punch too strong so I decided to substitute orange juice for the liqueur. That would go well with the pineapple juice. Great! I have my punch planned. But......when I made it on Saturday night before my friends arrived, I tried it. Ooooohhhhhhh!!! It was too strong on the vodka!!! So I added frozen pineapple chunks to dilute and soak up some of the alcohol. Then I saw that I had some frozen blueberries. So I added that. I felt like I was over a cauldron (the punch bowl) adding a little bit of this and that. So I added the frozen blueberries just as our friends arrived on Saturday night. When I glanced at the punch bowl, I could see streaks of red throughout the punch coming from the blueberries that I had added. Yay!!! Very ghoulish!! My friend called it Bloodclot Punch. The floating blueberries really did look a little bit like blood clots.





I had lots of fun but this meal took lots of preparation and planning days in advance. I was exhausted by the end of the evening. And...we forgot to include and celebrate my "first" birthday as part of the evening. I knew I had another full day the next day, on Sunday. Weeks ago, I had agreed to make an announcement at the morning church service and also to provide 3 dozen cookies for the Covenenting Service for my new minister in the afternoon. I was very tired and exhausted by late yesterday (Sunday).

My plan for today was to rest. Take a breather after the many days of activity, fun and busyness. My plan was to sleep in. Somehow that never happens. I was awake early. By mid-morning today, I noticed the rain had stopped and there were leaves on the yard that needed to be raked. So I bundled up in several layers and went out to rake the leaves. I made sure that I wore one of my masks and had gardening gloves on. I'm sure the wet leaves would have some bacteria and mold on them. Once was outdoors raking, I did notice the leaves were full of moisture and very damp. Some were downright wet! I got the majority raked by mid-day but I was overheated and tired. I took off the top jacket (I still had 3 more layers under the jacket). I put away my rake and put the 2 bags of leaves in the garage. I will take them to the city composting depot tomorrow.

I then sat on the patio and enjoyed the coolness of the day. While sitting on the patio, I could hear the leaves audibly dropping onto the ground. I saw blue jays in the trees and could hear their raucous screech as they communicated. Then I saw one feed another. It was beautiful! The brilliant contrast of their blue and white plumage was breathtaking. The one blue jay very gently leaned forward with his/her beak and fed the other blue jay. I was stunned by the gentleness and care. I could also hear chickadees chattering away and then the loud crows in the area with their piercing caws echoing through the air. The crows' sound triggered the memory of waking up in the mornings at my grandpa's farm back in the 1970's. While I continued to sit on the patio, I could hear the light drizzle begin as the rain drops hit the leaves in the trees. What a soothing sound! The wind also was calming as it rustled through the leaves of the trees. The wind combined with the damply weighted leaves caused more leaves to float to the ground. While I sat on the patio relaxing, I chuckled as a big red maple leaf dive bombed me as it was blown through the air and landed on the patio near me.

As my eyes gazed around the patio, I noticed our garden hose sitting on the patio table. Hubby was waiting for it to warm up enough for the hose to be pliable that he could wind it up to put away for the winter. As I looked at the hose on the table, I could see water droplets brilliantly shining as they hung from the hose. I could even see the droplets glisten and grow as the weight of the additional moisture caused the drops to eventually fall to join the moisture on the patio. This was so serene and peaceful! A perfect little retreat to relax after a very busy time. As I focused on my body, I could feel the it relaxing and sinking heavily into a state of total relaxation. This continued as I watched and listened to the natural surroundings. I have always loved nature and camping. This morning suited me fine for the moment until I got chilled. Then I made my way inside the warmth and comfort of the house. I poured myself a nice hot cup of mint tea and gave myself permission to read for the afternoon.

My first birthday is tomorrow. How will I celebrate? I think Hubby and I will have dinner out. Maybe with some friends. I don't even know what restaurant we may choose to support. I know it will be in our downtown and it will be a local restaurant....not a franchise of a chain....but a truly local eatery.

I am feeling so blessed! I believe prayers have been answered and given me a respite from the lymphoma. I am feeling so very healthy and truly try to enjoy each day with family and friends. Life is absolutely great!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment