Friday 25 August 2017

Day 12 First Chemo Round - I'm not that Picky

I did not sleep well last night. I got about 3 hours sleep because I was fretting and anxious about having my picc line put in today.  I awoke at 6 a.m. and made sure I took my antibiotic for my lower left arm. It is already showing improvement as it is less tender and less red and swollen. I had my breakfast, had my pill and then jumped in the shower. I was ready to go by 7 a.m. but the appointment wasn't until 9:30 a.m.

After much puttering around, putting dishes away from the dishwasher, etc., it was finally time to go. Hubby and I decided to park at his work and walk to the hospital from there. We had some extra time, so I went into hubby's work and said hello to a really good friend we have there. It was so nice to see him and feel a little bit of normalcy. I was feeling anxious and this helped to pass the extra time before starting the walk down to the hospital. Best of all, I got to see our friend. Hubby then approached and said "It's time." It was an enjoyable walk and I was feeling great! As I walked into the hospital, I was greeted by volunteers that I have seen while working there. It's a little bit like "old home week" when I walk into the hospital.

Hubby and I made our way to the Imaging Department where I was to be getting my picc line inserted. While waiting in the registration line, I really felt sorry for the clerk as she was being given a bit of a hard time by the gentleman in front of me. By the time I got to the desk, I couldn't help but use some humour to make her day go a little bit better. After registering, hubby and I had to go to another waiting area for our turn to be called. I love to people watch and so waiting is not an uncomfortable time for me. I saw a young baby (11 days old), I saw another young family with 2 little children. The little girl was enjoying waiting and playing with some play equipment that has been donated to the hospital by the Ronald McDonald House Foundation. I loved seeing the little newborns that went by. They're so tiny and precious!!

Finally my name was called. We were ushered through to the room where I had been on July 21 for my IVR biopsy.  I was expecting that I would be told to put a gown on. I was expecting that I would be sedated. I was feeling very anxious. While waiting, I was sure I heard someone gagging violently nearby. My tummy started to want to roll in empathy. Hubby took one look at my face and quickly turned his face away.....but not before I saw a small smirk. He knew I was not having a good go of it. He was not smirking in making fun of me. I just had a funny look on my face and it triggered his smile reflex. Anyway, I managed to control my tummy and sit patiently. Finally the doctor that was going to do the procedure, came over and explained exactly what was going to happen. I had to sign the release form.

Then I was ushered into the operating/procedure room by a nurse. No, I didn't need a gown. No, I wasn't being sedated. The 2 nurses exclaimed over how tall I am and had me climb up on the "table". The one nurse asked me, "Which arm do you want the picc in? I'm not that picky." I started to giggle and then into a full blown laugh. The 2 nurses just looked at me like I'd lost it. Then the other nurse started to chuckle and laugh. The first nurse was looking at both of us with a blank look on her face.....and then she got it! "I'm not that picky." We had a good laugh and I said that was a good one....I'm in for a picc line and you're not that picky. Off I went on a peal of laughter again. It still makes me giggle. The nurse hadn't even meant to make the pun. The nurses were fantastic with me after that. The procedure took a total of 15 minutes and I was done.

After leaving the Imaging Department, hubby and I went to the Tuck Shop to stock up on some Raspberry Flavoured Ice Tea that I like. I had ordered a case of 12 so that it is with me for the next round of chemo. It was great to see my co-worker and the volunteer that worked this morning.

On Monday, hubby and my daughter had bought me some scratch tickets, so I won some more tickets and redeemed them at the Lottery Booth. I like supporting the Tuck Shop, Gift Shop and Lottery Booth because they are run by the Hospital Auxiliary. All the profits are used to buy equipment for the hospital.  Hubby and I dropped into the Gift Shop on the way out so I could say hello to some other co-workers and volunteers that I used to work with.

I had a quiet afternoon with a short nap. All day, I had been looking forward to going out to dinner to our favourite Indian restaurant called Darbar. So that's where we went and I was not disappointed. The food tasted amazing. Although my appetite is still small and I couldn't finish all my meal, it just means that I had some left overs to take home for lunch tomorrow. After dinner, I was still feeling great, so hubby and I went to do some grocery shopping. I intended to go to all the stores, but in reality only made it to one. Now I was tired and I want to enjoy tomorrow again. So hubby dropped me off at home.

Today was a great, great day!! Live life to the fullest and celebrate the great days.

No comments:

Post a Comment