Monday 21 May 2012

Birthday Celebration

Today I celebrated the best birthday ever!!  It started with a poached egg on toast and a cup of coffee with Bailey's Irish Cream enjoyed on the patio.  Family came from out of town to help me celebrate.  We enjoyed a beautiful, hot, lazy day outdoors in the shade of our apple trees.  As we visited, we could smell the slow roasting maple spareribs my husband had going on the BBQ.  My family and visitors were able to enjoy the pastoral view of the birds and squirrels flitting and scampering around our yard.

A good friend dropped off a bouquet of roses, a card and a present in honour of my birthday this afternoon.  What a surprise!  I'm sorry I missed seeing her as I was in the backyard.

At dinner, we toasted with champagne the best birthday present ever which is being cancer free!  What a wonderful birthday dinner I had sharing it with family.  After dinner, we enjoyed a chocolate cake that my husband made along with some maple walnut ice cream.  Yummy!!!

I sat in the shade all day with a hat on and sunscreen.  I saw that I was turning pink so I put on a very light jacket to protect myself.  Despite my efforts to avoid the sun, I have a sunburn and can feel it tonight.

The number of emails extending  birthday wishes brought me to tears this evening.  I am so blessed to have so many caring friends and family as well as my health.  Although this birthday was not a milestone in terms of my age, it is definitely a special birthday as we celebrate good health.  It's great to be alive!!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a wonderful day, Cathy! Again, the timing is poetic. Not only did your treatments finish as the gardening season began, but you got a clean bill of health right before your birthday -- the best gift you could receive! I wish you a great year ahead. The past few months were difficult, but in the big scheme of things, they're a short sacrifice to make for the chance at good health. I am sincerely happy for you that things have turned out so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right about the short sacrifice in terms of overall life. You have been right beside me in spirit throughout and I can never express just how much that meant. I can't wait for us to get together and celebrate as 2 families :). Life's little pleasures always held meaning for me but even more so now. Thanks for being such a great friend!

    ReplyDelete