Wednesday 25 October 2017

Admissions Day

I awoke this morning and waited by the phone while I knitted my socks. I was waiting for the phone to ring and tell me that a bed was available for me at the hospital. I knitted and watched television while I waited for the phone to ring.

A friend contacted me to see if I wanted company. I said "Sure, come on over. I'm waiting for the hospital to call me." As soon as she indicated she was on her way, the phone rang. It was the Admissions Department of the hospital telling me there was a bed available. I asked if it was a private or semi-private room. I lucked out and got a private room. I had to report to the hospital after supper.

Hubby and I had decided that we would have our "last supper" at Darbar if the hospital called during the day. I had most of my belongings packed and ready to go. My friend arrived and we visited for the afternoon. It really was nice to have her there and make the time go faster. When she left, I had about an hour before Hubby would be home from work to pick me up. I ran through my checklist and was pretty sure I had everything packed that I would need. I then called my sister and caught her just before she started teaching her kickboxing class. We had a brief visit but I was glad to talk to her before leaving for the hospital.

Hubby arrived home and we carried out my "luggage" and locked the door. Then we went for dinner. As always, I enjoyed my meal and savoured every bite. We got an overwhelming surprise when we went to pay for our meal. Someone had paid for our meal and bought us a gift certificate. On the gift certificate under "From" it said "Everyone who loves you."  Both hubby and I were speechless! What a gift and we don't even know who to thank! Whoever it was, thank you from the bottom of my heart. It touched both hubby and I deeply.

We then made our way to the hospital and I was admitted. I am settled into my private room which overlooks the soccer field at Queens University. I have a small bar fridge in my room so I will be able to have gingerale and my flavoured club soda kept cold. I will also be able to have some yogurt and space for a small container of my quinoa salad. Here's hoping all this will help to boost my blood cell counts.

So a tentative plan is in place and now it's just a matter of getting through the next two weeks. Tonight, the nurse has taken blood from me to test my levels. My vitals have been taken and I have had an ECG. I'm just waiting now for the doctor who is on call for the overnight shift to come in and see me. I've been told she will check me over physically to see how I'm doing.

The final ride has begun.

4 comments:

  1. Thinking of you, Cathy, and wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your call meant everything to me. I love you Cathy and all of us are giving you our strength.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on your final ride of your treatment. I'm thinking about you every day.
    Carol Wells

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the best, Cathy. May everything go well with you.

    ReplyDelete