Friday 10 May 2019

Good Times!

Last Sunday (May 5), Hubby and I decided to get out on The Big Wing for the first time this year. It was a sunny, warm day. As I sit on the back, I often have the wind buffeting my legs and hips while we ride. Hubby is somewhat more protected as he has wind flaps to adjust and keep himself warmer. So at this time of year when the wind still has a chill to it, I wear layers on my legs. On Sunday, I decided to go with only 2 layers rather than the 3 layers that I sometimes wear on the colder days. Off we went. I love looking around at nature as we ride out of the city. This particular ride, we went north and then took the Westport Road which is a lovely winding road with lakes on either side and sometimes even a waterfall rushing merrily and noisily down the rock cut in the early Spring. This particular day, there was no waterfall but the scenery was relaxing and enjoyable. The leaves were not evident on the trees yet and this allowed me to see a big porcupine sitting in the tree top to the left of the road. There was still winter grit on the road and this makes for a dangerous ride as the bike wants to skid out from under the riders. That combined with the "road snakes" which are tar patch lines makes for a perilous ride. There were a couple of times I could feel the bike sliding as we went around hairpin turns in the road. Regardless of the fear in me at that point, I fully enjoyed our ride. We went through Wesport and then headed south on our way to an open house at Sticky Forks Apiary. On the road south, I saw a lovely loon gliding silently across the lake. My thought was, "There's the loon aka me" and I had a silent chuckle at my own expense. Then there was a turkey hen on our right quickly running away from the road. Again, my thought was, "There's a turkey aka Hubby" and again, I silently chuckled. As we continued on the road south, on our right was a swampy bay. Sticking out of the water was a log with six small turtles sunning themselves. All the nature is a balm to my soul regardless of how tired I am.

We meandered our way over to the open house and saw the bees, chickens and honey products that were on display and available to buy. I have my favourite products and I will make my way out to Sticky Forks Apiary in a few weeks to replenish my favourites. Of course, I must admit that the owners are friends of our's. We arrived just towards the end of the open house. My friend pulled me aside and wondered what I had planned for dinner. For Hubby and I, dinner was going to be leftovers from the night before. We all decided to be spontaneous and enjoy a relaxing evening together. We went out for dinner and then our friends came back to our place to enjoy the patio before it got too cold. What a lovely day it was!

The rest of the week has been really good too! I'm back to singing again and have rejoined my church choir. It is a challenge for me to go out in the evening midweek for choir practise. I am finding that it takes a toll on me and I am exhausted for a few days afterwards. However, the upside to this is I am reconnecting with the choir members and I am fully enjoying the rehearsals and singing in the choir. This activity continues to be dependent on how I feel. For now I'm in the midst of good times.

However, yesterday I received a notice of another chest CT scan as a follow up to one I had done in March. The one in March showed something in my lung. At the time, I had that terrible sinus and chest cold which required antibiotics. My doctor and I assumed the spot in the CT scan in March was due to the cold. But to err on the side of caution and be diligent in observing what's going on with me, I have to go for another CT scan in June so that they can be compared. It's amazing how my mind can play havoc with me. I'm having a great week and then the anxiety hits again. I am refusing to dwell in the dark place of anxiety and fear. But......if the spot is still there then that is not a good sign. I also go in for my next maintenance rituxan chemo treatment on May 23. I often experience anxiety leading up to those treatments. I'm glad the weather is warming up and I can "play" outside in my garden. It helps calm my soul. Of course, with the warmer weather, I will also be enjoying more outings with Hubby on The Big Wing.

For now, our home is partway through its refreshing renovated updates. I am excited to see it completed although that won't be until mid June. That's fine. It will give me something to focus on and get me through the next few weeks. In the meantime, Hubby and I are enjoying dinners and good times with friends and family. As the weather warms up, I will be able to spend time sitting on my patio while I watch and listen to the birds. Good times!!

No comments:

Post a Comment