Friday 27 April 2018

Waiting and Enjoying the Small Moments

I am still waiting. I had my CT scan two days ago and now I await my appointment with my oncologist on Wednesday to get the results. In the midst of all this waiting, I am taking all the small moments of joy that I can. Yes, I am filling my time with friends and activities as it has been helping me cope with the last 6 weeks of waiting. But life goes on.

Last Friday, April 20, there was a 20th Anniversary celebration of Music West which is a series of 4 concerts every year. The concerts are reasonably priced to offer various genres of music to a broader range of people. Music West also acts as a fundraiser for the local church. Over the years, I have performed with my friend twice. Once we performed a duet on flute and oboe. In 2011, she and I performed a music hall act. She dressed up in top hat and coats to play piano and accompany my persona "Dame Cathy". It was a memorable performance and full of laughter. Our duo became a trio when a friend of my friend happened to stop by while we were playing piano duets in 2015. Our trio started out as two of us on piano while our third friend sang. Then we transformed into my friend playing piano and two of us singing duets. We gathered together for music and fellowship once a week. Throughout all this time, my voice was slowly healing after my last bout with lymphoma in 2012. Through the act of healing and friendship, we called ourselves "The Grace Notes". We performed at the Music West 20th Anniversary celebration on Friday night. We sang "Homeward Bound" and "Poor Wayfaring Stranger". What a wonderful evening we had! Our performance filled us with the joy and celebration of life. We enjoyed listening to the other musicians in the first half of the evening and then thoroughly enjoyed the Victorian melodrama that was performed in the second half of the evening. For me, this was a moment of enjoyment and forgetfulness. I was able to forget, for a little while, the seriousness of my health situation.

As I've mentioned in previous posts, I have been enjoying watching my Kingston Frontenacs' deep foray into the playoffs. They made it to the third round for the first time in 25 years! Unfortunately they lost last night, but the players and organization will never know how much it helped me to get through the last 6 weeks of waiting. I was able to look forward to going to the games. I thoroughly enjoyed the games. I lived in the fun moments of those evenings at the hockey rink. I know the players are still just "kids" but they provided me with entertainment and a reason to live in the moment. I was able to enjoy small moments of time with my hubby at these games.

The weather has warmed up in the last week and I have been taking advantage of it. In order to fill my time and soothe my soul, I have started to clean up my flowerbeds from last Summer and Fall. I was too weak at that point to put my beds to  sleep for the Winter. I am still concerned about how quickly I seem to tire this past week. I try not to worry about "the spot" but I do wonder if I'm feeling tired and exhausted because of it. Puttering in the garden has been soothing earlier this week. It has rained the last two days but today looks like it is going to be a day filled with sunshine. I will continue to tackle the weeds and perennials that are overtaking the gardens. I have a plan to change some of the beds and move new plants into some spaces. My energy is not where I would like it to be, but I do what I can and then rest on the patio while I listen to the birds and watch them flit around.

I am still in wait mode until Wednesday. I intend to enjoy as many small moments as I can. I am looking forward to seeing my son on the weekend. I am enjoying the small act of hanging my clothes on the line outside to dry. The small moments help me to cope. I am so thankful that Spring seems to finally be here as I wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment