Monday 15 July 2019

Vacation Day 5 - July 6, 2019 at Eagle Lake

I'm slowly starting to sleep in and relax. I woke up and got my coffee at 8:30 this morning. The thermometer indicated it is already 25 degrees Celsius. As I stepped onto the deck to enjoy the view, it was already HOT and HUMID! There was a breeze off the lake as I enjoyed my coffee and an omelette for breakfast. As I sat and relaxed in the chair on the deck, I could hear blue jays, grackles, chickadees, woodpeckers and robins. Then I heard the gentle call of the loon while I was writing in my notebook.

The weekend on the lake has arrived. There is more motorized boat traffic, kayaks, canoes, paddle boards and water skiers. I could also hear the RKY campers out in 3 canoes earlier before the motorized traffic started. I could hear the campers singing as they paddled. It brought back memories of my childhood when I would go to camp for a weekend at most. As the boating traffic increases, I can hear the rhythm of the aluminum boat hitting the dock as wakes and waves come to shore. It makes me think of Martha Hill Duncan's piano composition called "Rowboat At The Dock" which is included in a collection of her compositions called Cottage Days, copyright 2008.

At 2:00 p.m. it is sunny, windy and the air is finally less humid and feels cooler. It is a beautiful, perfect day!! It's wonderful to not feel sticky. As I sit looking at the water, I am feeling reflective and creative. So bear with me as I have a brief interlude of reflection.

Many Faces of the Lake

  • The lake can be still, reflective and completely calm. - I hate to disturb it and I feel it doesn't want to be disturbed.
  • The gentle waves lapping at the shore. - "Come in and swim" it chants. - "Come play" it insists.
  • Windy, blue, excited! - I'm so happy to see all my boating friends with their children's laughter and squeals. I love that fathers chase their children in the water saying "I'm the monster and I'm going to get you!" as their children scream and shriek in play and laughter. Lots of pleasure boats, party pontoon boats, kayaks, canoes. Weekend is here!
  • Angry, grey, cold, windy, rainy. - "Leave me alone!" - "Let me have a 'tempest in a teapot' kind of day. People listen and leave the lake alone 
I'm back to myself now and continue with my day.  At some point in the afternoon, I found myself whistling and humming one of my favourite hymns "Will Your Anchor Hold". How appropriate that it comes to mind unconsciously while I'm at the cottage on a lake. With reflection, I'm so very blessed to have had my "anchor hold through the storms of life" in the last 2 years! The many faces of the lake have figuratively been part of my 2 year journey with this bout of lymphoma. My faith, my prayers and those of friends, family, acquaintances and strangers have lifted and carried me through the storm. I'm blessed with God's hands that have cradled me and looked after me physically. God's hands appear through the actions and caring of Hubby and many friends.

So currently, my "lake of life" is full of gentle waves calling "Come in and play". My lake of life is also windy, blue, excited and saying "I'm so happy to see all my boating friends with our laughter and squeals of happiness." 

No comments:

Post a Comment