Thursday 15 March 2018

And the Results and Decisions are.....

Yesterday I had my appointment with my oncologist. My file was discussed at length in the doctors' meeting on Monday. The doctors had a good look at both my PET scan taken on February 27 and my CT scan taken on January 2. They compared the scans and they discussed options on what to do.

The suspected lymph node is located on my right side behind my bowel so the option of having a IVR (ultrasound/CT scan guided needle) to get a biopsy poses too many risks of perforating my bowel. I asked my oncologist if the IVR can be done not from the front of the abdomen but from my back. His reply was that the bowel curls around the lymph node and doesn't allow clear access so again, the risk is high that my bowel could be perforated accidentally.  The doctors discussed the option of getting a piece of the lymph node or removing the lymph node completely through surgery. At the moment, the lymph node is too small for the surgeon to confidently see and feel it in order to remove it.

So we are left with the option of watching and waiting. I will have another CT scan within 6 weeks and I have a followup appointment with my oncologist in 7 weeks.

I have no symptoms that I can tell. I feel really good. My energy levels are good. These are all good signs. If the PET scan hadn't been done on me, I would have no idea that there is anything of concern. I'm thankful that my oncologist is very diligent and will follow me closely now.

After the appointment yesterday afternoon, Hubby and I went out for dinner at our favourite Vietnamese place and then we went to the Kingston Frontenacs hockey game. I absolutely intend to live life fully until symptoms or treatments make me unable to do so.

I have already visited a friend in hospital and while there saw another friend who I haven't seen since the Fall. I'm meeting with friends this afternoon to make music with. I'm off to another hockey game tomorrow night and will probably enjoy a dinner with my hubby before the game. Hubby and I will spend Saturday with friends and enjoy our annual prime rib dinner with all the fixings including yorkshire pudding. I'm so spoiled that Hubby will be making the dinner. Seize the day!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you Cathy. Reading your extensive list of things your going to do over the next few days makes me think I should have a nap! You are wonderfully busy! I applaud you!

    ReplyDelete