Thursday, 26 April 2012

Day 1 - 6th Chemo Cycle

Finally!!!! I had my last chemo injection this morning.  My veins have always been large and easy to insert needles into.  In the fifth chemo injection, they had trouble getting the needle in as the vein rolled away.  This morning for the sixth chemo injection, they tried on my right arm (as it was always in the left arm) and again the vein rolled away and it took a while to get the IV put in.

Once the IV was in, I took my pills which I always take before the chemo starts flowing.  I took 2 benedryl, 2 tylenol, 2 prednisone, and 1 ondansetron.  Then the chemo started.  The benedryl really made me tired today.  I kept falling asleep throughout the session.  It finished about 1:15 and it was with great satisfaction that I rang the bell clearly and loudly to announce to the world that I'm finished my least going to the chemotherapy lab.  I still have to take the ondansetron and prednisone over the weekend.  My last pill of prednisone will be on Monday.  When I rang the bell, the nurses all clapped and cheered.  The lady that always booked my chemotherapy appointments waved and wished me well.  They all invited me to drop in for a visit but not for chemotherapy.

I was home by 1:30.  On the way home, I even fell asleep in the van.  At that point, Scott pointed out that I looked like I have cancer.  I was very pale and waxy looking.  I've had an afternoon of quiet resting.  I ate some soup for supper.  I can feel a headache coming on which is a side effect to one of the chemicals.  I'll be taking a tylenol to dull it and then off to bed.

When I first woke up this morning, I felt like I was heading to the gallows.  But a really good friend called me and gave me a pep talk.  By the end of the phone call, I was smiling and laughing again.  So now I just have to ride out this next week or so and then life can only go up.  I'm finding that watching my tomato plants and red pepper plants grow continues to lift my spirits.  It also lifts my spirits and gives me a sense of satisfaction to see the online donations that are coming in to our team "Cathy Conquers Cancer" for the Relay For Life.  Once I'm feeling better in 10 days, I'll be able to use the pledge form I have to look for donations face to face.

The nurse I had today was telling me that people have bbq's at the event and fun activities such as games to participate in.  There's also supposed to be live bands and music playing all night long too.  It sounds like a fun time.  If anyone's interested in donating online just click on the link below.

No comments:

Post a Comment