Friday 27 April 2012

Day 2 - 6th Chemo Cycle

So on the journey goes.  I slept well early during the night (8 p.m. to 1:30 a.m.) because of the benedryl and the anti-nausea medications that I had taken earlier in the day.  After taking my ondansetron pill (anti-nausea) at 1:30 a.m., I was plagued by night sweats and just not able to go back into a deep sleep.

My day today was spent watching the clock to make sure I didn't miss any doses of medications.  The good news is I have not had to use the supplemental anti-nausea medication yet.  I do feel the beginning of thrush developing.  So I've adjusted what I eat today to include more of the foods that combat thrush.  That includes lots of fresh fruits and vegetables and I'm drinking water with lemon juice in it as lemons are supposed to be good for fighting thrush as well.

I've been tired today but also have bursts of energy due to the prednisone.  I've done well not to do too much.  I use the excess energy to work on my knitting while I watch television.  I've also had multiple hot flashes today so needless to say I'm dressed in layers that can come off quickly as the hot flash begins.  Then the layers go back on once I'm cooled down and too cold.

My taste buds seem to be working well today and as a result my appetite is good too.  I just find that I'm eating smaller snacks and meals.  This helps with keeping the nausea under control along with the medication.

So one more day crossed off the calendar until I can feel better for good.  I remember in December a friend telling me that she got through her own cancer treatment by going appointment to appointment.  I find it has been a similar process for me too.  I seem to have been getting through this journey physically and mentally with the help of going from appointment to appointment, from moment to moment in the rough times.  I should start to feel better around May 6 or 7.  Today I received the date of my CT scan which will tell my doctor that everything is clear and back to normal.  My CT scan happens on May 11 and then I'll see my doctor on May 16.  My prayer is that everything is clear.

I'm receiving pleasure in the amount of support that people are showing for the Relay For Life.  The link for donating online is:

http://convio.cancer.ca/site/TR?fr_id=10558&pg=pfind

People can donate using my personal name or people can donate to the team name Cathy Conquers Cancer.  If you don't want to donate online, feel free to go to your local Canadian Cancer Society office and indicate you want to donate to the Relay For Life event in Kingston.  If you know me well, you may contact me by email or phone and I can instruct you how to get a donation to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment